Thursday, September 19, 2013

Thoughts on Websites

I am taking an animation class called Business and Ethics in Animation, where we basically discuss topics like networking, jobs, and essentially the "business" side of the animation industry.  It's an awesome class taught by Mike Warner.  We were assigned to make a website to present our portfolio.  I thought it would be cool to build mine from scratch in html because I knew nothing about doing it, here's what I came up with: 
It's super simple, but it's definitely the look that I'm going for. 
 I based my website heavily after a few website from guys in the industry that I think are pretty awesome.  Here are the links to their websites:
Michael Woodside- http://www.woodsideanimation.com/
Kevan Shorey- http://kevanshorey.com/
Here are some things to think about while making an online portfolio
  • Keep it simple and easy to navigate. 
  • Have your contact information easily accessible 
  • Let your reel be the center of attention, maybe even place it in the top middle of the home page
  • Again, keep it simple and clean
  • Don't forget to include a demo reel breakdown.
I still need a domain name and server to make the website live, I am still trying to figure out the best way to go for those things. If you want to make your own website from html, here's a great resource to get started-  http://lifehacker.com/5790955/how-to-make-a-web-site-the-complete-guide
I personally think that a website is more professional than a blog. However, I guess it doesn't really matter how you present your reel, as long as it is awesome.

1 comment:

  1. I helpful blog, Allen. You can use it to direct people to your website. Blogs can be used as teasers and advertisements for websites, where you can sell yourself or products. People actually make a living doing that. Pintrest is often used that way, too.

    ReplyDelete