Monday, December 10, 2012

Slick Hairdo and a Balloon or two

For the last few weeks I've been trying to decide what I should do for my final project in Ryan Woodward's character design class.  We have to create 4 characters, 2 environment concept drawings, and a story.  Until yesterday I had no idea what I was going to do. I started thinking, what if I did something that had to do with surfing? It's funny because the two things I'm most passionate about are: animation and surfing.  I just never mix the two.  UNTIL NOW. buhahaha!!!

Last week, I pitched two of my story ideas to the BYU animation program to be considered for our Senior film.  One called "Balloon" the other called "Scurvy Threads."  Although neither of my ideas were chosen in the end, I had a lot of fun pitching.  I got a lot of laughs out of people which got me all fired up. It reminded me how great storytelling is.  Everything we do as animators, drawing or programming or animating or whatever, it all comes down to telling a story. All those things are just a means to an end.  When we tell something that creates laughter, an emotional response, or we tell something that resonates within someone, we know we're doing our job right.  It's easy to get caught up in details, and it's refreshing to stand back and see beyond those details and remember the big picture: Storytelling.  Anyway, It was an awesome experience.
I have the whole "Balloon" film story boarded, here's a little section of the boards.










No comments:

Post a Comment